A concrete cutting saw is also called a quick cut, road saw, cutoff saw, and a
con saw. It is a power tool that is used for asphalt, tile, masonry, concrete, and other solid materials. These saws are usually available as a small handheld cutoff saw, a big walk-behind saw or other different styles. These saws are usually powered by electric, hydraulic, pneumatic pressure, or gasoline motors. The saw blades used in a concrete cutting saw is often a diamond saw blade that is used to cut concrete, stone, and asphalt. Since a significant amount of friction is generated in cutting and tearing hard substances, the blades should be cooled to improve the blade’s life and reduce the amount of dust.
|Concrete Cutting Saw|
Choice of Blade for A Concrete Cutting Saw
A proper cutting blade should be chosen for efficiently performing a cutting task. Some of the features that are usually considered are the saw blade diameter the saw can accommodate, the size of the
arbour and the quality of the blade. In addition to this, some other factors need to be considered, too such as, the fit between the concrete type and the diamond saw blade’s characteristics. Some concretes contain steel rods or bar in them while others don’t have the same. Others are made up of pebbles, while concretes are made up of rocks that are crushed. Some concretes have a longer curing time compared to some that have short curing time. The concretes with short curing times are called green concretes. Each diamond saw blade should be made up of different designs to fit these different types of concretes.
- Wet or dry cutting
- Even saw blades made for these concrete cutting saws are welded with lasers, they are typically designed for wet cutting. This happens since concrete that is to be cut is often very tough, and can be abrasive.
- The blades should be used with a lot of water. If adequate water is not used, the diamond portion in the blade breaks or the steel core underneath the same shows wear and tear, which in turn might cause the segment to get detached and hurt the people standing close to the cutting operation.
- A sharper diamond blade can be used if dry cutting needs to be performed, or there is no source
forwater close to the work area.
- Care should be taken to ensure that dry cutting is shallow and intermittent i.e.
severallayers of shallow cutting should be performed to obtain a deep cut. This is necessary to ensure that the diamond tool is cool.
- If or not, longer lifespan or quicker cutting modes are needed
- First, the cutting speed of the saw blades made of diamond should be determined. Usually, experts select a blade, which has a longer lifespan or speedier cutting.
- The power output of the concrete cutting saw
- If the power of the concrete cutting saw is high, the diamonds on these blades can withstand high impact when the cutting operation is performed.
- In the above case, the diamond bond should be
high, or the diamond strength of the saw blade should be high.
- If the saw has a low power output, the diamond bond should be low in order to sharpen the blade and ensure a high cutting
The steps listed below can be followed to reduce the dust due to concrete cutting.
- Enough water supplies should be used or wet cutting should be performed.
- Diamond saw blades should be used rather than the very hard or abrasive ones to perform the cutting operation.
- A regular exhaust ventilation system should be present in the concrete saw.