You are busy at work, your backup help will not be coming for the day and your dog walker is down with something. It is then that you come across an advertisement for a local dog daycare facility.
|Doggy Day Care|
What is a doggy day care center?
In the dog daycare center, your dog will be provided with the services that even you cannot provide them. These include amongst others when other commitments take you away from home: companionship, playmates and supervision as well. There are many doggy day care centers that have the same working hours just like the daycare centers for children: Drop your dog off before work and pick your dog afterward.
|Doggy Day Care|
Here are some tips which can help you out with finding the right place:
- Big dogs need to be kept separate from the small dogs: There are many doggy day cares that do this, but a surprising number fail. You will obviously not want your Pug to experience severe panic attacks that are why it becomes necessary for you to ensure they're kept in a place with other dogs their own size, not threatened by bigger dogs.
- Inquire from family, friends, and neighbors: When you inquire from people whom you trust you will be able to find excellent results. This is the reason why you should start early and put the word out. You can also start by reaching out to your online circles with the help of social media and neighborhood websites. Inquire from the previous as well as from the current clients as to what they think about the facility. This can be done by striking up conversations in the parking lot. You can even directly message or email the authors of any interesting online reviews.
- It should be well staffed: The center you select need to be well staffed. If one person attends to dozens of dogs, then they may not get the attention and love that they need to be healthy and happy. It would be better to leave your dog at home alone if they're going to feel lonely anyway?
- Observe the parking lot and lobby: Take a close look at the dogs entering the facility by watching their body language. Do they put on the brakes or are they excited? While exiting the center what do the dogs look like? You should also observe carefully as to the manner in which the staffers of the center handle the dogs during drop off and pickups. Are they apprehensive of avoiding fights and letting the dogs leave? Do they seem to have a lot of long-term clients or is the clientele mostly new?
- The owners have good "chemistry" with your dog: If your dog finds it uneasy they enter the place, it’s time to look for another place. Listen to your pet as you want them to listen to you
- Undertake your own online research: Apart from the suggestions provided by the people through the internet lists the names of the facilities and owners.
- Visit facilities in person: When you have narrowed down on a dog day care center go take a tour. Look and see if the place is clean.
What other services do they have? Other services are on offer which is an on-call veterinarian. What if your dog gets sick while you're at work or play?
|Doggy Day Care|
It can indeed be stressful for you to leave your dog with strangers but it doesn’t have to be. A little homework can go a long way, so do your due diligence, and your dog and you will be able to reap the benefits.