Choosing fireplace mantels and surrounds is as important as deciding on a specific fireplace, as these tend to be the main focus in your room and can make the interiors either look classy or messy. There is a wide range of fire place mantels available and you need to make sure you choose in accordance with your requirement, style and preference. A mantel is not only a shelf, but a part of the interior décor of your home. Though this can be used for placing beautiful frames to enhance the look, you need to remember this speaks of your personality.
|Fireplace Mantels and Surrounds|
What is a Fireplace Mantel and Surround?
A mantel is a frame meant to add to the décor around the specific fireplace. The mantel shelf is the ledge above the firebox. The elements which are vertical on either side are considered as the ‘legs’. At times, you find an over mantel, which is a panel located above the shelf. The frame which is around the firebox is the ‘surround’. This needs to be made of a material which is non-combustible.
Choosing a Mantel and Surround
A fireplace mantel and surround needs careful consideration as these add to the beauty of your home and should also be safe.
- Make sure that the specific mantel, you seem to like, blends well with the rest of the décor in your home, or probably, only the room which has the fireplace. It should look as a part of the fireplace and not stick out like a ‘sore thumb’.
- Before you opt for a specific material for the mantel, you have to consider the policies of the National Fire Code. This means for any combustible material being used for the mantel, for every 1/8th protruding from the surface there should be a gap of at least 1 inch from the firebox opening. A 6-inch clearance all around is another requirement.
- Full surround mantels can be bought off the shelf and work as an affordable option as compared to the custom made ones. Sustainable cherry, oak, or any other hardwood tends to work out quite expensive. If you are looking for a cheaper option, you can decide on the fiberboard which is of an unfinished paint-grade. There are different designs to choose from, such as the trimmed and intricately routed ones or the simple ones. It depends on what you prefer.
- In case you do not want to waste time and energy in getting the fireplace mantels and surrounds custom made you, can opt for the readymade ones that are available in different styles as well as sizes and are easy to install.
- Decide on the material of the mantel before you get it either custom-made or even the readymade one.
|Antique Fireplace Mantels|
There is a choice between the
- Wooden mantels offer a classy look with their polish and finish. These tend to be a little on the costlier side but if your budget permits, this works out as a wonderful choice.
- Rock and Stone are considered as ‘timeless’ and long lasting as they are practically indestructible. The construction of this mantel requires a professional mason to do the job. You can decide on pre-fabricated stone mantels which are available in granite or even marble.
- Metal mantels need to be custom designed but they can definitely be contemporary and offer a historical look.
|Custom fireplace Mantel|
Besides the above mentioned materials you have a choice between the bricks, tiles, plastic, concrete and more. You need to take your time and make an effort to find out which one will work best for your home.